I am looking for jobs in Product Marketing , what is best way to increase my chances to get in to the field. taking any online course will help to upgrade my knowledge get started ? which course you will recommend ? thank you in advance.
Having identified what type of role you want next and why, already puts you ahead of the game and lets you hone your experience more and more towards the field. I would first explore to see how you can get (or maybe already have) actual working experience even if it’s project based.
- If you’re in a non-product marketing role currently, try to identify if you’re working on projects or doing anything that are core PMM skills and see if you could take on more of that type of work to build up your resume with examples.
- Explore if there are cross functional projects in your org that you can raise your hand to be a part of that would give you more experience. Sometimes it can be easier to get access to projects/roles you don’t have experience in within your existing company because you’ve already proven that you’re a valuable team member and you know the organization well.
- Look for opportunities to take on consulting projects on the side that touch on product marketing (Go to market campaigns/planning, positioning)
- Doing informational interviews with people in the field not only helps you get a deeper understanding of the day to day work of a PMM and what you should add to your resume to be a better fit but it also builds up your network
- Join product marketing groups and networks (Like Sharebird!) on slack, linkedin or other social platforms.
- Courses are great as well and maybe look for some that come with a networking opportunity as an added bonus.
- In terms of books, there are a lot of great ones. Two of my recent favorites are “Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It” by April Dunford and “Hello, My Name Is Awesome: How to Create Brand Names That Stick” by Alexandra Watkins