How do you stay up-to-date on industry trends and best practices in sales enablement?
Many of the large research firms (ex: Gartner) and other smaller societies exist. They put out interesting reports, whitepapers, and findings that showcase new enablement technology, sales trends, and changes in the learning space.
- Check-out new & topical books
- Subscribe or review these firms/sites from time to time
- Join a community (Slack or LinkedIn) with like-minded folks
Great question! There are three specific ways I do this:
1. There are some annual reports done for Sales Enablement that come from third-party sources like Forrester and Gartner. These may be gated, but sometimes they are sent by tools vendors.
2. Use your tool vendor resources! I always ask my CSMs for all the tools we own if they've created an annual trends report or a "best practice' doc for their specific tools whether it's outbound tools, content engagement, knowledge, etc. They have these for their own product/core marketing behind gated sites but since you're already a customer, they should be accessible to you without the barrier.
3. Forums - one I follow is the Sales Enablement Society forum where professionals ask questions. And, I guess we should give Sharebird a shoutout too!
Staying up to date on industry trends and sales enablement best practices is something that needs time to absorb the information to analyze if your organization needs to adjust any of the current or future programs. Below I have outlined a few ways to stay up to date on both industry trends and best practices.
Sales Enablement is accountable for providing the GTM customer-facing teams with the current information and training to assist them in their customer engagements. Below are some of the Industry Trends to review based on your business needs.
- Vertical Markets - Sign up to industry papers, forums and magazines to stay ahead
- Personas - Sign up to any CSuite forums, magazines and blogs to stay informed of the thinking
- Technology - Sign up to the technology forums that align with your solutions, preferably your own company's customer early adoption, or customer forums or developer communities
- Purchase Industry Benchmarking Reports : Forrester or Gartner to assist in your efforts
There are alot of vendors that offer enablement and insights for the enablement practioner. Below are the top three enablement professional networks that would help you.
ATD (Association for Talent Development)
Sales Enablement Society (Chapters are local in your area)