Back to Your Feed
How long does it take to create a product vision?
- For any Product, the hierarcy, in terms of immediate to long-term is Execute -> Features -> Roadmap -> Strategy -> Vision
- The focus for any product team should be to execute & launch and then working on the features & building on the roadmap from a bottoms-up perspective. They should also embark on a top-down appraoch of understanding the market landscape, the user problems they can solve profitably and setting the vision. The intersection of these approaches can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to a few years and depends on the stage of the firm, the product, the type of company and the lifestage
- For start-ups, Vision trumpes everything else and would be required before they raise capital, attract talent or are able to build. Tesla is an excellent example here.
- For large firms, product in market thats generating revenue trumps everything else and they have the chance to stumble upon a good strategy or vision if they keep iterating. But, this isn't a given, most firms stumble & fall rather than pick themselves up & iterate. Chevy has the vision laid out for them by Tesla but they haven't been able to take the Bolt to where Tesla is.
- For other firms, the answer lies in the middle of the specturm. PoleStar & Riviian are able to ride on Tesla's coat-tails, Toyota continue to follow their incremental approach with the Prius but it feels like an opporunity lost, BMW & Merc have launched incredible electic cars that feel like the future, etc
Related Ask Me Anything Sessions
GitLab Director of Product Management, Jacqueline Porter on Product Vision
May 17 @ 10:00AM PST
Atlassian Product Leader, Enterprise Agility, Samantha Ugulavaon Product Vision
November 23 @ 10:00AM PST
Meta (Facebook) Product Leadership, Bhaskar Krishnanon Product Vision
June 7 @ 9:00AM PST
Top Product Management Mentors
Netflix Director of Product
Head of Product, VP
Salesforce Senior Director of Product, Einstein AI
GitLab Group Manager, Product Management
Figma Group Product Manager, Production Experience
Atlassian Head of Product, Enterprise Agility
HubSpot Senior Director of Product Management, Fintech
Patreon Product Lead, Member Experience
GitLab Director of Product Management
Matterport VP of Product
What are the steps to consider while transitioning from PO to stellar PM? Can you give an example of a bad product vision statement? What would you do to improve it?Is a product vision statement worth user testing? What questions do you ask yourself when building a product vision?When creating your product vision statement, what do you research?When creating your product vision statement, what do you research?